This repository contains a Firefox extension that enables keyboard
navigation of WAI-ARIA landmarks (including implicit landmarks in HTML5
elements). Landmarks may be navigated via hotkey or via the Firefox
Tools menu item. The following WAI-ARIA landmarks are supported:
- application (1)
- form (1)
- region (1)
Note 1: that application, form and region roles are considered navigable
landmarks only when they are labelled with
Note 2: header and footer elements are not considered landmarks when they
are contained within an article or a section element.
To install the extension, download the landmarks.xpi file then drag it
over a Firefox window and release. Then follow the installation
Landmarks may be navigated using one of two methods:
Navigate landmarks via hot key.
- Pressing the "n" key navigates forward through landmarks.
- Pressing the "p" key navigates backward through landmarks.
The "n" and "p" keys are default navigation keys. The defaults may
be changed by navigating to
Add-ons. Select the "Options"
or "Preferences" button on the "WAI-ARIA landmark keyboard navigation"
Note that some navigation key settings may interfere with other
application shortcut keys or your browser's shortcut keys.
Preferences, to enable rendering
a border around an element having a landmark role. Three border options
are available as follows:
- No border drawn around focused element
- Persistent border drawn around focused element
- Momentary border drawn around focused element
Navigate landmarks from the
The landmarks menu item presents a list of page landmarks allowing the
user to select one. If landmarks are nested, the landmarks menu item
indents entries to reflect nesting. If landmark labels are present via
aria-labelledby, the labels are shown.
- ARIA landmarks: http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/roles-land.html
- HTML 5 structural elements: http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/structural-elements.html